[ Poultry Processing Equipment ]
The goal of Ward Lumber’s Poultry Processing Equipment Rental Program is to help interested farmers raise birds without having to invest in expensive poultry processing supplies that are ultimately only used a few times a year. We have established a very low rental rate, in order to make the equipment accessible to all farmers buying feed at Ward Lumber.
Please note that Poultry Processing Equipment is available to rent for Ward Lumber feed customers only.
$40/day (payable in advance) for all equipment (or any portion) below. Sorry, no discount for individual pieces of equipment, due to the fact that rest of the equipment can’t reasonably be rented to another farmer.
$100 refundable cleaning deposit required for all rentals, due on the day of rental or before. The cleaning deposit will be returned upon all equipment being returned at the end of the rental day in clean and “as rented” condition.
A $25 reservation deposit will be required to reserve the equipment for rental on a future date. The $25 reservation deposit will be applied to the first day rental. Additional days of rental will require payment in advance. Reservation is required.
Your rental day starts at pick up (most likely just before closing of the store) and ends 1 hour before closing of the next business day. Rentals for a Saturday use may need to be coordinated for hand-off of the equipment directly from one farmer to another on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning during the busy season.
Please see our Rental Availability Calendar to check that the poultry processing equipment is available on the day you require it.View Calendar
Don’t forget to sign the Poultry Processing Equipment Rental Agreement...Download Here
- Kill cones (up to 8) for broilers with stand
- 40 gallon, propane fired, thermostatically controlled Featherman stainless steel scalder (NOTE: requires an electric outlet for the t-stat control) - The scalder includes dunking shackles
- Featherman Pro plucker
- Chill tank(s)
- Hoses and Ys to supply water to the scalder float valve, plucker & evisceration table
What's NOT Included?
- Kill cones for turkeys (available upon request)
- Propane, propane is available at Ward Lumber at our propane filling station
- Knives (NOTE: really sharp knives are important!)
- Ice to cool the birds quickly. (ice available at Ward Lumber)
- Bags to store the birds (shrink bags available for purchase at Ward Lumber)
- Thermometer for checking the water temperature to be sure it is up to 145-150 degree range.
- Spray nozzle for the hose at the evisceration table.
- Electrical lead cords to supply power to the scalder and plucker.
Check out a checklist for things you may need on chicken harvest day:Download Here
Tips For Use
- Scalder heating time:
Plan the following approx. times to bring scalder up to temperature:
- Cold tap water: 2 hours
- Hot (100 degree) tap water: 1 hour
CAUTION: Scalder produces LOTS of heat and hot water. Keep children and pets away from the scalder. Keep plastic hoses and all flammable material away from the scalder at all times. Keep the chimney of the scalder clear at all times to allow as much heat to vent as possible.
- Keep scalder out of direct wind to minimize the robbing of heat from burner. A strong wind can blow out the flame.
- Place the scalder in a well-ventilated area due to propane use.
- Keep water off all controls on scalder.
- Keep birds off feed for at least 12 hours to reduce size of the crop.
- Add dish soap to the scald water to help release the feathers and get the hot water down to the skin.
- Only use scalder cover in cool weather to prevent deterioration due to excess heat in summer.
- When cleaning the plucker, be sure to reach up into the chute and down underneath the spinning plate to pull out hidden clumps of feathers. Otherwise the plucker will smell really bad quickly!
Instruction & Troubleshooting Guides
PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE:Featherman Scalder InstructionsScalder Troubleshooting guideDunker InstructionsFeatherman Pro Plucker ManualFeatherman Pro Plucker Instructions
"Thank you for providing the processing equipment. We have been raising meat birds on and off for the past 11 years. Previous years we have rigged our cones, borrowed a scalder from one friend, a plucker from another, and rounded up trash cans. This year for $43.20 and 4+ hours of driving time processing the birds was more efficient. Ward Lumber having this equipment and renting it to its customers is a true service and I just wanted to say an extra THANK YOU!"
Stop by one of our stores or give us a call to find out how we can help you!Contact Us