[ Go Green ]
Recycling efforts at Ward Lumber
Ward Lumber has reduced our waste stream by 60% since beginning this program in 2010. We are striving to reach Jay Ward’s goal of a two thirds reduction in our waste stream through reusing, reducing and recycling.
Recycle Batteries & Cell Phones at Ward Lumber
We provide a place to not only dispose of, but recycle batteries and cell phones! Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Batteries & cell phones are collected at collection sites
Collection sites throughout the US and Canada accept rechargeable batteries (including tool batteries) and cell phones for recycling - with no cost to recycle. Simply drop off at Ward Lumber in Jay or Malone!
- Step 2: Collection locations ship batteries & cell phones to recycling facility
Collection sites like Ward Lumber ship batteries and cell phones for free to contracted sorting and recycling facilities.
- Step 3: New products are born
Precious metals recovered from used batteries create new batteries and stainless steel products. Cell phones are recycled, refurbished and/or resold. When resold, a portion of the proceeds are donated to select charities. None of the broken down material makes its way into landfills.
Ward Lumber uses “Call2Recycle”, North America’s largest, most reliable battery recycling program. Since it was created in 1994, 60 million pounds has been diverted from landfills.Learn more about Call2Recycle
Recycle CFL Light Bulbs at Ward Lumber
Bring your old CFL lightbulbs into Ward Lumber in Jay or Malone and we’ll be happy to recycle them for you. We also have new CFLs in stock, so why not replace them while you're here!
Why Recycle CFL bulbs?
Due to the fact CFL bulbs contains a very small amount of mercury - an average of 4 milligrams in each bulb, it is important to know about their proper use, recycling and disposal. Recycling these types of light bulbs prevents the release of mercury into the environment.
Additionally, recycling CFLs and other fluorescent bulbs allows the reuse of the glass, metals and other materials that make up fluorescent lights. Virtually all components of a fluorescent bulb can be recycled!
Ward Lumber is a Certified Green Dealer. This means that our employees have been thoroughly trained on green building and green products, and we are a certified source of information about being “green”/environmentally-friendly!
- Ward Lumber is proud to be the first business in Essex County to undertake Casella’s (Northern Sanitation) complete recycling program! Ward Lumber’s ultimate goal is to reduce our overall waste by 66%. Click here to learn more
- Ward Lumber has been environmentally responsible for a long time, and we continue to strive to find ways to be greener. Here are some changes we have made:
- Replaced store light bulbs with CFL bulbs
- Recycle computer toner cartridges
- Use recycled paper
- Reduce paper use by electronically scanning and emailing instead of photocopying
- Turn off computers at night to save energy
- The wood boiler that heats our dry kilns and sawmill celebrated it's 20th birthday in January, 2018.
- By burning sawdust we have saved over 2.1 million gallons of oil from being consumed in 10 years.
- Pine is renewable in 50-80 years, adds a negligible amount of sulfur dioxide to the atmosphere versus burning coal or oil, and adds no NET CO2 to the atmosphere (burning fossil fuels does).
- Ward Pine Mill’s Maintenance Department heats our garages with used oil from our trucks, loaders and other equipment.
What Is Green?
- The practice of increasing the efficiency with which buildings use resources such as energy, water and materials
- Reducing building impacts on human health and the environment
- Better siting, design, construction, operation, maintenance, and removal
- The complete building life cycle.
Ward Lumber Mission Statements
Corporate Mission Statement:
To be the best lumber manufacturing and building supply company in the Northeast by providing quality products, professional services and value to our customers.
Green Mission Statement:
To educate our customers and ourselves on green building practices and providing a variety of products including products that are manufactured in a responsible way and/or that increase the energy efficiency with which buildings use resources such as energy, water and materials.
The below vendors work hard to be as environmentally-friendly as possible. Consider using them as you pledge to “go green” yourself!
ARXX ICF is New York State approved, UL tested and has been awarded Healthy House by the American Lung Association for an “Outstanding Green Product”.
- Lincoln Windows
Lincoln Windows is committed to environmental stewardship. As responsible corporate citizens, they are dedicated to manufacturing energy efficient products and managing their resources in a manner that reduces our impact on the environment.
- Merillat Cabinets
Merillat, as part of the Masco company, is a world leader in the manufacture of kitchen cabinets. Merillat believe it is the duty of every leader to be responsible for the planet that nurtures and sustains us. As one of the world’s largest kitchen cabinet manufacturers, they believe they have a sacred trust to preserve and protect our environment. They do this by implementing aggressive policies safeguarding the health, safety and environments in which they live and work, as well as by ensuring responsible use of the world’s natural resources.
TimberTech composite decking and railing products offer an attractive, low-maintenance, extremely durable and cost-effective alternative to popular and often chemically treated woods like redwood and cedar. TimberTech products will not splinter, warp or fade the way wood does, and so they dramatically reduce the wasteful cycle of repair and replacement, eliminating the frequent application of paint, sealers and stains that could be potentially harmful to the environment.
- TimberTech wood composite products are manufactured with recycled wood waste that would otherwise go into landfills.
- TimberTech recycles water (during the manufacturing process) through a closed loop water system.
- Scrap products are reclaimed and put back in the manufacturing process.
- Skids, corrugate and product dust are recycled.
- Unlike wood, TimberTech products are a one-time purchase for most homeowners with a limited 25-year residential warranty.
- TimberTech products do not require painting, staining or sealing.
All of these qualities are not only better for the environment, they actually enhance a home’s performance and appearance by reducing maintenance costs and thereby raising its overall value.
Stop by one of our stores or give us a call to find out how we can help you Go Green!Contact Us